Great Books To Read On Hair!



I've always loved reading books and when it comes to hair care, trust me there are a TON of books to be read! I'm still getting round to reading them all but for now these are the ones that caught my eye and which I've read and thoroughly enjoyed.


First of is what I consider my 'hair bible' for the great in depth information on the science of hair and understanding how hair ( afro textured) works. It is quite informative and can be quite 'scientific' in the terms used but if you're really interested in understanding the composition of our hair, the different types of ingredients in products, their interactions with one another and how they affect the hair; then trust me, 'The Science of Black Hair' is an invaluable book which you will refer to over and over again.





Next up is a book by one of my favorite bloggers Nikki Walton (curlynikki.com) and it's called 'Better Thank Good Hair' I'm sure most of us have seen the Chris Rock movie 'Good Hair' and the various issues black women have when it comes to dealing with our naturally afro textured hair. Well Nikki (who is a psychologist) does a great job in her book of breaking down hair care into basics complete with a few illustrative diagrams.


I also like the fact that she brings to bear her psychological training when tackling things like our attachment and acceptance of our hair. This book is very easy to read, offers help for ladies in various stages of growth, has a number of real life ladies sharing their own experiences and also has a section on handling your daughter's hair.


If you've trawled the internet long enough looking for hair tips then definitely you'd have heard of or come across chocolatehairvanillacare.com - if you haven't, well what are you waiting for??? lol Rory Mullen has captured the hearts of so many mothers across the globe who were literally clueless about what to do when it comes to caring for the hair of their daughters.




 She has to be one of the most creative ladies I've come across when it comes to styling her daughters hair (and she also makes some of the most AMAZING costumes too). She's a great example of commitment and dedication to understanding her daughter's hair and ensuring she takes care and nurtures her hair. I love her site and when she came out with a book, even though I don't have a daughter yet, I bought it immediately!
It's a lovely, practical styling guide complete with tons of images and will be a great tool for mother's who want to really take their daughters' hair care into their own hands.


My next offering is the book entitled 'The Science of Transitioning Hair' and is by the same author of 'The Science of Black Hair'  - Audrey Davis Sivasothy. As the title suggests, its aim is to help ladies who are transitioning or thinking of transitioning, and also ladies who have recently gone natural. It's easy to say one is going to stop relaxing and 'go natural' but few ladies really understand what they will be in for once they embark on that journey i.e breakage, shedding, thinning and lots and lots of tangles :)
Unlike her first book, this one has more styling and technique illustrations and less of the scientific terms. It's another definite must have!


Lastly is what I'm currently reading - 'A Cut Above - How the Man Who Gave the World The Afro, made $$ Millions' Now this is not technically a book about hair per se but really about a man who was in the  business of hair. Cornell McBride created the 'Sta Sof Fro' - a revolutionary hair care formula that helped grow and maintain healthy Afros. It pretty much documents how he started his company with little and how that company became a multi million dollar one within 5 years. So far, I'm loving the lessons and learning from the values that helped him on his way.

As I said, there are so many more books out there on hair and I shall be getting round to them but in the meantime if you haven't already, you should get one of these books - you won't regret it!

Till my next post

xoxoxo


10 comments

  1. That Chocolate Hair Vanilla Care looks like a very good read.

    Berry Dakara Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! No fuss and loads of visuals

      Delete
  2. That Chocolate Hair Vanilla Care is extremely creative. She pays attentions to details, as evidenced by her works. I want to believe she's an artist in real life.

    So which ones are you giving away? Lemme come and win o.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right!!! So creative! Ah i'm guarding these ones jealously oh lol. If I get my hands on extra copies will send one to you :)

      Delete
    2. I can't help but feel ashamed that a white woman can style her black daughter's hair far better than we black Nigerian mothers can :(

      Delete
  3. why do you use saran wrap on your hair?
    where can i buy Parachute Advansed Ayurvedic Hair Oil?
    where can i buy shea butter cottage and oyin handmade products?
    and Njoy's Long and Healthy Hair Growth Oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use saran wrap in lieu of a disposable processing cap. We stock some Oyin Handmade and Shea butter cottage products please email info@klsnaturals.com. For Njoy, check out sizzelle.com

      Delete
    2. Amazing, thanks! I can't believe Njoy's mix is FIVE KAY on sizzelle! *running away fast* What about the Parachute Advansed Ayurvedic Hair Oil?

      Delete
  4. Kemi does henna brown your hair? I know henna strengthens and its amazing and all but I have dark jet-black hair and I wouldn't want it dust brown oh! Hian. Should I just lay off the henna?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can we get this books in lagos

    ReplyDelete